A news release from the Santa Clara County District Attorney provides additional details of the episode which weren’t previously reported, for example allegations of Foster hitting his girlfriend in the head eight to ten times.
Foster is going to likely be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. now and faces over 11 years in prison if convicted of these charges. Read the Entire release under:
Reuben Foster, a professional football player, was charged today with felony domestic violence against his live-in girlfriend.
Foster, 24, physically attacked the 28-year-old woman during a February argument at their Los Gatos home, leaving her bruised and with a ruptured ear drum.
Foster is scheduled to be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 12 in Department 44 of the Hall of Justice in San Jose. The defendant faces charges of domestic violence with an allegation that he inflicted great bodily injury, forcefully attempting to prevent a victim from reporting a crime, and possession of an assault weapon – all felonies. He is also charged with misdemeanor possession of large capacity weapon magazine. If convicted, he faces more than 11 years in prison.
Prosecutor Kevin Smith said: “Our focus is on holding accountable those who hurt their intimate partners. Our Office handles between four and five thousand domestic violence cases each year. We only hope that this case illuminates the tragic regularity of the rest.”
On February 11, the victim flagged down a stranger’s car driving on Shannon Road to call 911. She called police. The victim told responding sheriff’s deputies and Los Gatos police that Foster dragged her by her hair, physically threw her out of the house, and punched her in the head 8 to 10 times.
The victim went to a local hospital, where she was treated for her injuries, and released. During their search of Foster’s home, officers found the weapon – a Sig Sauer 516 – along with its large capacity magazine – both of which are illegal to possess in California.
Foster, a first-round draft pick from this University of Alabama at 2017, had 72 tackles in ten games last year and seemed to be on his way to becoming a center part of the 49ers defense for a long time to come, however the seriousness of those charges could place his NFL career in doubt. The 49ers at 9 a.m. PT Thursday hadn’t declared any public reply to the fees, but staff CEO Jed York made it understood when talking to colleagues at the yearly league meetings in March that he’d intervene and cut Foster loose when he believed it was mandatory, whatever head coach Kyle Shanahan and general director John Lynch felt about the situation.
“Finally, it is possible to say what is my telephone,” York said, a NBC Sports Bay Area. “Therefore, in case it comes down to it if there was some thing I am uncomfortable with but soccer (side) was, then I’d finally make that choice.”
If Foster stays with the 49ers this year, he also faces subject from the NFL with this episode in addition to by a January arrest for misdemeanor marijuana possession in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.